In 1969 50% of our youth were walking or biking to school. Within the span of one generation, that percentage dramatically dropped to just 13% in 2009. During that same time span, rates of obesity soared among children of all ages in the United States, with more than 33% of our youth who are now overweight or obese or at risk of becoming so. With these facts in mind and our commitment to encouraging and enhancing bicycling, we designed a poster contest to engage fifth graders on the numerous benefits of the bicycle. We believe that through the bicycle we can enhance the quality of life for our youth.
With the dedication of state coordinators, we are able to successfully promote and encourage thousands of fifth graders to participate and start thinking about the bicycle. Each state will have the opportunity to give awards to a first, second and third place winner. The first place winner will receive a bike, light and helmet and will be sent to Saris for National Award consideration.
The state coordinator from the National Winning State will receive a 3 day/2 night trip to the 2015 National Bike Summit (this will include entrance to the bike summit, airfare and lodging).
We are currently seeking volunteer state coordinators to organize the 2014 National Poster Contest in their respective states.
State Coordinator Responsibilities:
- Encourage the participation of a minimum of 20 elementary schools in your state
- Distribution (emailing) of contest information to fifth grade teachers/principals
- Communication throughout the state
- Gathering artwork
- Coordination of the state contest judging
- Mailing in the hard copy of the first place state winner to Saris Cycling Group for national award consideration
If you are interested in becoming a state coordinator:
- Apply for the coordinator position. The application is attached in the coordinator packet.
- Once accepted, you will work to distribute information throughout your state (we will personalize the marketing material for you)
- Saris will back up with marketing efforts (through Facebook advertising and emailing to nationwide databases)
- Coordinators will receive posters for State Judging (each state winner will receive a bike, light and helmet)
- Coordinators will send in first place state winner for National Award consideration
- National Winner is chosen through a Facebook voting poll
- Heather Fortune, Saris Advocacy Director